Chitika

Chitika

Friday, July 30, 2010

Fats...Friend or Foe?


" It's a torture not to eat those chocolates, but I'm on a diet, I stay away from fats.
" I can't eat those nuts, I avoid fats".
" Those avocados are fattening, It's my favorite but I'm on a diet"
" I don't eat anything with fats, I'm trying to lose weight"

Does any of those statements sounds familiar to you? Do you also believe that fats shouldn't be in your diet if you're trying to lose weight? Think twice because our body needs fats! FATS! OILS! FATS! OILS! Not as many as I am writing it down now, but to a certain percentage so that our body is not being devoid of those necessary nutrients that is dependent on fats. These are nutrients that will help prevent premature aging and will keep us looking younger. If we will always be avoiding fats, those nutrients that would keep our youthful look will also avoid us. I'm referring to some of the fat soluble nutrients: Vitamin A and Vitamin E. These are antioxidants, meaning they help in neutralizing free- radical damage. In a more layman's term, it protects us from harmful effects of toxins from environment, from stress, and from unhealthy diet and lifestyle. We need its absorption to be maximized. To have that happen, we should have fats in our body. But, we have to choose healthy fats. Good fats such as avocado, olive oil, Durian, virgin cold-pressed coconut oil, fish oil, and fats we get from nuts and seeds such as almonds, macadamia and flax seeds. We lessen or avoid intake of bad fats from animal sources, and add on these good fats to our diet.
Fats therefore can be a foe when it’s the bad fats you consume, but a friend when you replace it with good fats.

Now, find and enjoy those friendly fats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...